Chances are you’ve heard of The Curly Girl Method from your hair stylist, TikTok, or even your own curly-haired pals, but are unsure of what it is and how to do it. MopTop is here to break down exactly what you need to know when it comes down to the Curly Girl Method and how you can use it to boost your own curls!
The Curly Girl Method, coined and created by the author of Curly Girl: The Handbook, Lorraine Massey is known for teaching those with curly hair how to enhance their natural texture. While creating fuller, healthier, and more defined hair, The Curly Girl Method really shows you what your hair can do!
That being said, having at least a few distinct waves or curls to start with is a necessity–while the Curly Girl Method is good, it can’t make your hair ‘curlier’ than it already is, it can just help define what you already have!
Enhance those curls, step-by-step!
Now that we know what the method is about, let’s dive into how to do it to transform your curls!
- Reset your hair with a detox wash! Before starting your journey, the first step is to remove any buildup sitting on your hair from silicones, waxes, and products. For a fresh start, try the MopTop Detox Shampoo, perfect for clarifying your scalp and resetting those curls! We recommend using the Detox Shampoo once every 4-6 weeks, followed by your favorite MopTop conditioner!
- Once you have started your journey - the first step: Cleanse! Keep the suds on your strands and continue to work into your scalp for at least 60 seconds before you rinse! We recommend the MopTop Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner or the MopTop Gentle Shampoo. Be sure not to wash/cleanse your hair with both the Detox Shampoo & the Gentle Shampoo on the same day.
- Condition those curls! Take a handful of your conditioner and scrunch into your hair until it feels fully saturated or slimy, then detangle your curls with a wide-tooth comb or your fingers. Once you are done detangling, be sure to rinse out completely (unless you are using the Leave-In Conditioner). Our best MopTop conditioner recommendations include our Daily Conditioner, Leave-In Conditioner, or our Salon Deep Conditioner!
- Style time! Using the styler of your choice; MopTop Curl Enhancer Gel, Curly Hair Custard, or Medium Hold Gel - rake and scrunch your hair from roots to tips. You’ll want to use more product than feels normal to ensure the strands are fully saturated! If you find flakey residue in your hair once it dries - that means you’ve used too much. Next time, try using a little less! Eventually you will find your hair’s sweet spot.
- Dry, dry, dry! Now the time has come to drain all excess water from your hair using the plop method! Take a cotton t-shirt, cup your hair in your hands, and scrunch the excess water out of your curls. Though it isn’t necessary with this method, you can also use a low-heat diffuser to dry your curls once you have scrunched it.
- Keep the ball rolling! Stick with this method and adjust as needed for YOU and your curls will thank you!
Things to Avoid
The Curly Girl Method is simple on paper–and in your hair!--but there are some common mistakes that should be avoided. Cutting out products that will mess with your curls sounds simple but can get confusing.
To put it simply, avoid products with silicones, waxes, and sulfates. These will cause buildup on your hair. Another key is to avoid heat styling–while low-heat diffusing has its place in this method, it’s not always necessary and can be used sparingly! Another way to ensure that this method is doing the most to heal, hydrate and enhance your curls, is to steer clear from towel-drying your hair, which can lead to breakage and frizz. Instead, opt for the plop method with a cotton t-shirt, which we mentioned above!
Now your curls are ready for the world!
It’s important to note that The Curly Girl Method, the exact products, and the amount of each product used on your hair will affect each person differently, but this is a great recommendation on where to start your learning journey!
Now that you understand the method, the why and the how, it’s your turn to try to achieve fuller, healthier, and more defined hair, and see what your curls really can do! Happy scrunching!